Making Russian Pelmeni (ground beef stuffed ravioli)


Last time I made Russian Pelmeni, I got a lot of requests to share my recipe and how I use the Pelmeni mold. So this time I took the time to photograph and write down my recipe. 

This is one of those things that you do by memory because that's how my Mama thought me.
I remember all us girls sitting around the kitchen table talking and laughing, Mama got to cut and roll the dough, and we all got to fill them by hand. No need for a pelmeni mold when you have 6 girls in the house! I seriously miss those days.

It was taking me a very long time to make pelmeni by hand, so I decided to buy the mold online and try it out. I am sure if Mama found out I was using a mold, she would not be happy. She alway said they tasted better made by hand.

But I think they still turn out perfect! The secret is to roll out the dough nice and thin. 

Technically this is my Mama's recipe. 
I haven't tried any different recipes and I don't want to. The dough and filling always turn out perfectly. 
Dough:

2 egg
1 cup water
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups of white flour

Put all ingredients in stand mixer:




Mix with a paddle attachment, until well combined, but still sticky:


Transfer to a floured surface:


Knead dough for about 3 minutes: 


Until smooth:


Cover dough with bowl, and leave on the counter to rest while to make the filling:


Filling:

Combine:
1 pound of ground beef
1 small onion (finely diced)
Salt and pepper to your taste (I add 1 tsp of salt and 1/4 tsp of pepper):


Combine everything together:


Coat your mold with cooking spray
(Remember to do this each time):


Knead your dough once more and make a log. 
Divide dough into equal sections. (You should have 6 sections, not 5 like I have):


Take each section and roll out, It should be very thin (about 1/8 of a inch) and large enough to cover the entire mold:


Take your dough and place over your mold:


Fill with approximately 1/2 tsp of filling. Don't over fill, or it wont seal properly
No need to push the filling in. It will go in in the next step:



Roll out another piece of dough and place over the first piece,
Use your rolling pin to lightly roll on top to seal:


Now press firmly when you roll to "cut" all the pelmeni:


Remove any access dough:


Turn the pelmeni mold and pop them out:


If you want to cook them right away (skip down to that part)

Or you can do what I do and freeze them.

Place on a large platter sprinkled with flour. Once your platter is filled, place into the freezer until frozen (about 30 minutes):


After frozen, transfer them to a large zip lock bag for your future meals.
I like to make these for those days when I know I won't have time to make dinner:


TO COOK

To cook, boil some salted water (just like you would do for pasta)

Dump the pelmeni into the pot when the water is boiling:


Cook for 10 minutes, stirring often:


With a slotted spoon, remove the pelmeni and transfer to a large bowl. 

Add 2 TB of butter, some salt and pepper to taste and toss together:


I love to eat these with a dollop of sour cream/chopped green onions and a fresh cucumber and tomato salad. 


Enjoy!




Oh, and these are even better the next day!
Saute the leftover pelmeni in some oil and top with hot sauce (my favorite is sriracha)! 
YUM!

Have you ever made/tried pelmeni? What did you think?




2 comments:

  1. I love Pelmeni!!
    I haven't done them in years, but in Germany you can buy them in stores imported from Russia and they are so delicious!;)
    Last time I did them was with a bunch of friends. The best part of it was sitting together and rolling, filling and talking. Great times...;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :O That is *SO* cool! I've never seen anything like that before! :) I followed you from the link party with Lamberts Lately. Also, I’d like to invite you to come link up with me at my link party! I’d love it if you could stop by & link up some of your recipes! Here's the link: http://anyonitanibbles.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/Tasty-Tuesdays-Link-Party-9.html

    ReplyDelete